Fresh Fish Finds.... Say THAT three times right?
Recently I took a group of friends to purchase fresh locally caught fish at the Tuna Harbor Dockside Market. You can purchase LOCALLY caught fish (off the waters of the Pacific in California) for a fraction of the price you would find in a grocery store or a marked up fish shop in your neighborhood.
The Market is open on Saturdays at Seaport Village from 8-1pm.
The key, is purchasing a whole fish. THDM lists the whole fish available every Friday on there facebook page and one can get a whole fish, filleted ($5 per each fish), skin on/off for approximately $3.50/lb! That is a HUGE BARGAIN!!!
I LOVE being able to support local!
Eating local is always the go to choice because you know where it's coming from, and from whom and that is important to eating sustainably. So if eating clean and fresh is your thing, come join me each month to co purchase whole fish!
Here is what you need to know and prepare for the market:
- Budget $25 per person. Getting 3 small size whole fish gives everyone an opportunity to try at least 2 fillets from each fish.
- Get there early. Seriously, there is a line that forms on the dock early.
- Parking is free before 10 am right at the dock, so plan on that.
- Bring a cooler that will carry all your fish. Have ice in it!
- Bring zip top gallon bags to grab and split the fish fillets with the group.
- Bring Plastic Bags (they only provide you with one bag with each of the fillet for each fish).
- Bring hand sanitizer and bottle water to "wash hands" after the exchanges.