Hearty Side Dish
What is your favorite food to eat?
How about to make?
I recently asked my boyfriend this and he said his favorite to make is mac and cheese. I asked him what his favorite thing to eat was (thinking he would say mac and cheese) and he said "stuffed bell peppers".
At first, I found it odd. Then I started thinking back to the times that he grocery shops. He always comes home with bell peppers. All the colors. All the time. He always buys them, and I always use them in different ways. So when he told me his favorite thing to eat is stuffed bell peppers, I realized it was subtle hints (maybe) thrown at me for the past year. He is sweet like that. (However he should have spoken up and said something sooner, don't you think?).
This recipe is honestly the most simple dish to make at home. It can serve as a stand alone dish, or paired with your entree. It's such a simple dish but with so much potential to adapt it and make it your own. It's the stuffed Bell Pepper. It was a hit at my house and made me a convert. Remember that Harissa Chorizo recipe I shared? We used that.
Don't worry if you didn't have time to make it, you can also stuff it vegetarian style and top with cheese like my friend Karla did with 1 cup of leftover breakfast hash (she used potatoes onions and cheese- THAT's it). This dish can be varied so much.
Maybe next week, I will make the meatless version above for my guy (just don't tell the boyfriend- he abhors meatless Mondays).
- 1/2 lb Harissa Chorizo (or ground turkey)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 onion (minced)
- 2 tbs EVOO (separated- half for chorizo the other half to drizzle onto the bell peppers)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers(or your favorite color)
- 1 Avocado (cubed)
- Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the stem from the Red Bell Pepper and core it, remove the seeds and ribs with you fingers. Set aside into an oven proof pan and drizzle with Olive Oil. Season with Salt and Pepper and cook for 10 mins then remove and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add the oil, and soften for 3 minutes. Add the Harissa Chorizo. Brown all sides for 5 mins. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Fill this mixture inside the bell peppers and return to oven.
- Return to oven for 10 mins until all the ingredients cook thru.
- Serve with cubed avocado slices and enjoy.
Are you enjoying what I am writing?
Why don't you join the mailing list? It's a good way to get cooking tips delivered to your inbox and also be part of the exclusive discounts and FREE giveaways.
I will be back next week, with another blog post and another recipe.
Until then, take care!