Flourless Chocolate Cake with Lavender Balsamic
Sweets are universally comforting, aren't they? You eat them on good days and you eat them on bad days. Decadent sweets are something that I really enjoy; especially when I am able to share it with friends and family. Unfortunately, eating sugar is NOT good for you- (like DUH! we already knew that!).
I have this booklet where I take dessert recipes from magazines and paste them on the blank pages so whenever I crave something sweet I will make it. My philosophy behind this is simple: If it takes me time to make it- then by the time I sit down to eat it; I won't devour the whole thing all by myself. (It hasn't quite worked out that way LOL!).
So I am taking a different approach: I am modifying the recipes I find and make them healthier, yet still satisfying.
I found a basic chocolate cake recipe from Bon Appetit, in which I wanted to see if I can make this with a healthier spin. I chose to swap out the all purpose flour (replace it with coconut flour) and replace the sugar with coconut sugar (it has a low glycemic index). I also decided to use Lavender Balsamic Glaze as my "frosting"- (I know right? like mind blown! poof!) While I was hesitant to do this swap at first, I really wanted to make it my own, and play with ingredients that I love to use in my kitchen. I always have coconut sugar, coconut flour, and lavender balsamic on hand at all times, so why not use them? The swap has paid off. This is a dessert worth making and sharing. You won't feel guilty for having this dessert, like ever!
Glaze and Assembly
- Add 1 cup of Balsamic Vinegar to a pot and simmer until it reduces and coats the back of a spoon. 20-25 minutes.
- Optional: Add 1/3 c of the Chocolate wine sauce, (if you don't have feel free to use a store bought sauce like Ghiradelli or another brand) to the balsamic mixture.
- Set this aside until ready for use. Glaze the cake with the mixture once you have turned out the cake onto its serving platter.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
1 c unsalted butter
1/3 c coconut flour
8 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 c coconut sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 tsp kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter and flour a springform pan.
- Heat chocolate, sugar,and 1 c butter in a glass bowl over a simmering pot until chocolate is completely melted. 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, on medium heat, add one egg at a time.
- Reduce speed after all eggs have been incorporated and stir in salt.
- Add to buttered pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until edges are slightly darkened and cracked.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before you turn out.
I cut this cake into 10 wedges. It is really decadent, so it's a good cake to share with others. I promise, you won't be disappointed. Have fun making this!
I will return next week with another wholesome recipe. In the meantime, you can subscribe to the newsletter so you get exclusive cooking tips so that you are a better home cook (than you already are, because you ARE already awesome!).
Until next time!