Monday's are my writing days. Usually, I spend it at some pizza joint and that always means Pizza and Beer for lunch. It was kinda my thing, until I realized that I am wearing WAAAAAY too many stretchy Yoga Pants to be comfortable in. It called for a change. And I don't like change. Well, I don't do well with abrupt change- but dammit- I needed to get back into my jeans.
So I came up with a version of "Pizza" that would suffice. Now, remember, I don't sacrifice flavor whenever I adapt in my cooking- so whatever I was going to make had to be fresh, real, and outstanding- in order for me to give up New York Style Pizza most Mondays.
I mean, what girl doesn't like that pepperoni fat just ooooozing on their fingertips? Ok, maybe not all girls- but this one sure did. My yoga pants were "screaming" for an alternative so off to my own kitchen I went to find a healthy solution.
Cauliflower. I know, It. just doesn't sit well with the word Pizza.
Trust me, I don't lie when it comes to creating healthier alternatives to food. If I don't like it; no matter HOW healthy it is for me, I say no.
This one was made with my favorite ingredients as toppings. Yellow Squash, Tomatoes, Herbs, Cheese, and Cheese. Oh, and this little thing called Truffle Oil (GO AND BUY IT!) that sent it over the TOP!
My ultimate taste tester is this big carnivore that I live with. He is the one to tell me whether or not I "can serve this to men" as he likes to say. Well, I can. "it's weird but taste great", he said. That is enough for my ears to hear and move forward. I mean I would have shared this anyway- because we know women make most decisions in the household (yes, I read that somewhe).- so here it is.
Enjoy it. Me and the carnivore I live with I totally did.
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 flatbread)
To Form Crust:
* 1 Cauliflower Head (stems removed and pulsed thru Food Processor of Blender to form coarse crumbs)
* 2 eggs
* 1 c Goat Cheese (or any cheese you like- Grated, if hard cheese)
1. Mix Cauliflower Crumbs, eggs and Cheese together and spread onto a pan.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 mins, then set aside.
* 1 c Yellow Squash (julienne)
* 1/2 c Grape Tomatos (sliced lengthwise)
* 1/3 c Parmesan (grated)
* 1/3 c Arugula (added at end when off the heat)
* 1/8 tbs Truffle Oil (drizzle)
1. Pre-heat Oven at 350. Mix together the Crust ingredients and bake for 15 mins until the bottom is almost set and brown. Remove and let cool.
2. Assemble ingredients: (Julienne Yellow Squash, Slice Toms, Grate Parm, Set aside Arugula and Truffle Oil). Set Aside
3. When Cauliflower Crust has cooled, assemble your pizza this way:
+ Yellow Squash
4. Bake at 350 for another 10-12 minutes until cauliflower has a crust and the vegetables are soft and set.
5. Drizzle with Truffle Oil and Arugula and serve once cooled for 5 mins.
Are you enjoying what I am writing?
Why don't you join the mailing list? It's a good way to get cooking tips delivered to your inbox and also be part of the exclusive discounts and FREE giveaways.
I will be back next week, with another blog post and another recipe.
Until then, take care!